The Crossett Eagles knocked off the No. 1 team in the state by stopping a two-point attempt in the nail-biting last minutes of play Friday.

The Eagles beat the Arkadelphia Badgers 28-27 in a game that ended when Arkadelphia went for an unsuccessful two.

After leading 13-0 in the first quarter, the Eagles had to spend the rest of the game trading the lead with the Badgers.

The Eagles started with the ball. Justin Stokes completed a short pass to Willie Taylor and a 46-yard pass to Dewayne Ashford to move the Eagles to the Badger 13 yard line.

A short pass to Jackson Moore followed by a run by Tyrique Jones had the Eagles in the end zone for the first touchdown.

Chase Rice’s kick was good and the Eagles led 7-0 with 8:58 to play in the first.

The Eagles kicked off and the defense forced the Badgers to punt on fourth and 15 from the Eagle 24 yard line.

The Eagles were forced to punt as well, and Arkadelphia had the ball as the clock rolled into the second quarter.

The Badgers turned the ball over after a failed fourth and four attempt and the Eagle offense took the field.

Stokes hit Moore for a 57-yard pass, moving the ball to the Arkadelphia four yard line. A two-yard run by Taylor followed by a two-yard run from Jones had the Eagles back in the end zone and the score was 13-0 with 9:36 until the half.

The Badgers were able to score two and take the lead, 14-13, before the half-time buzzer sounded.

After the break, the Badgers started with the ball, but the Eagle defense kept them out of the end zone.

The Eagles didn’t score on their first drive of the second half, but on their second drive, they scored another six. On third and nine, Stokes hit Kason Brooks for a 15-yard pass, moving the ball to the Badger 34 yard line. Three plays later, Jones was back in the end zone and the Eagls were up 20-14.

The Badgers answered with a touchdown and took the lead 21-20 with just before the fourth quarter started.

Crossett then scored another touchdown and two point conversion to take the lead 28-21.

The Badgers were driving the ball, trailing by seven with only about two minutes on the clock. They threw an interception, but took the ball right back after an Eagle fumble. The Badgers were able to score, making the game 28-27. An extra point kick would have tied it up. Instead, they went for the two- point conversion.

Dwight Ashford made the running back bounce it wide and Kantrell Williams delivered the initial stop. Jaedon Williams then came along and finished it off, which Coach Sonny Nason said was very symbolic of the Eagle team.

“It takes all of us,” he said.

The Eagles will now host Shiloh Christian Academy of Springdale for the semifinals.

Whoever wins at Yarborough Field this Friday will advance to the state championship game in Little Rock at War Memorial Stadium.

“We have to get to War Memorial,” Kantrell Williams said. “We aren’t stopping.”

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.