Eagles defeat Dragons for homecoming crowd

Crossett High School’s Amaru Gibbs runs the ball during the Eagles’ homecoming game Friday night. The Eagles won the game 49-42. At left, quarterback Justin Stokes passed 393 yards with 17 completed pass attempts.

The Crossett Eagles won their first game of the season in front of a Homecoming crowd when they took on the Dewitt Dragons Friday night.

Junior quarterback Justin Stokes passed for nearly 400 yards and senior DeAndre Webb scored four of the Eagles’ seven touchdowns.

The game started with Eagle red-zone penalties and two Dewitt touchdowns, but the Eagles did not give up. On the first play of the second Eagle drive, Stokes threw a pass to Robert Scates, who ran the ball 60 yards. The catch set DeAndre Webb up to run the ball into the end zone on the next play. Chase Rice kicked in the extra point, and the score was 14-7 rolling into the second quarter.

The Eagles kicked the ball to the Dragons, but Tyreke Caldwell snagged an interception that he almost turned into a pick six. The Dragons stopped him about 20 yards short of the end zone. On the next play, Webb snagged a drag route and ran the ball into the end zone. Rice’s extra point kick was good and the game was tied 14-all.

The Dragons were quick to respond, and scored a touchdown and a two-point conversion bringing the score to 22-14.

Webb and Amaru Gibbs both tried to run the ball, moving it a few yards at a time. Gibbs broke away for a 17-yard long run, giving the Eagles a first down and moving the ball to midfield. Webb snagged another drag route and ran it into the endzone for another Eagle touchdown. The Eagles needed two to tie the score, and with 4:43 to play in the half, Webb caught another pass in the end zone and the PAT was good.

The Dragons were able to score another touchdown before the half time buzzer sounded, and the Eagles hit the locker room trailing 28-22.

After the half, Carlos Williams caught his first of two touchdown passes, tying the score.

The Dragons made it back to the end zone, but the extra point was not good and they were leading 34-28 mid-third quarter.

Dewayne Ashford caught a 22-yard pass for another Eagle touchdown, and Rice kicked in the extra point. The Eagles led 35-34 going into the fourth quarter.

The Dragons answered with a touchdown and two-point conversion, giving them a 42-35 lead early in the fourth quarter.

Carlos Williams caught a pass in the end zone, and Webb turned another drag route midfield into a touchdown.

Rice came through with two more extra points and Eagles were on top 49-42 with only minutes to play in the game.

The Eagle defense stopped the Dragons one more time and Stokes took a knee until the clock ran out and the Eagles could celebrate their homecoming victory.

The Eagles pushed through even with running back Jaylon Lawson — who rushed for 150 yards against Warren — and defensive back DeRaymond Herman injured on the sidelines.

Deuce Hall led the defense with 15 tackles, and Caldwell was right behind him with 12 tackles and an interception. Kantrell Williams had 10 tackles and Lamonte Gillum had eight tackles and the stick of the week.

DeAndre Webb had 262 all-purpose yards and was named as co-player of the game with Stokes, who completed 17 of 20 pass attempts for a total of 393 yards.

The Eagles play again at home on Friday night against the Monticello Billies.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.