A Crossett house went up in flames Monday evening after a resident unsuccessfully tried to contain a fire before calling the fire department.
Crews with the Crossett Fire Department responded to a fire in the 600 block of West 10th Avenue at approximately 6:40 p.m. Monday.
Crossett Fire Chief Bo Higginbotham said the resident told officials the fire started in a bedroom when a mattress ignited.
After trying to fight the flames himself, the resident contacted the CFD.
Crews arrived on scene at 6:43 p.m. to find the structure fully engaged in the fire.
The chief said firefighters had the blaze under control at approximately 8 p.m. and were finished at the scene at approximately 9:30 p.m.
The structure was a total loss.
No further investigation will be conducted, Higginbotham said.