About US
Contact Us

Your Ad Goes Here
Your Ad Goes Here
Your Ad Goes Here

Last Updated: Feb 8th, 2018 - 11:36:42

Tense Hamburg-Crossett game requires recount
Feb 8, 2018, 11:33

Email this article
 Printer friendly page
The Lady Eagles ended their week with a tense single-point loss in Hamburg. The game was so close officials recounted the score twice.

The Hamburg loss followed a Tuesday game in which the Lady Eagles hosted the Warren Lady Jacks, but lost 61 - 21.

“Warren’s a tough team, and we had too many missed scoring opportunities, too many missed free throws,” Coach Shanae Govan said.

The Hamburg Lady Lions won 54-53 in a game against the Crossett Lady Eagles that was so intense officials were forced to recount the score twice during the contest. (VAL GAUGHT/News Observer)
When the Lady Eagles traveled to face the Lady Lions Friday, and after they took the lead for the entire first half, they lost in the last few seconds of play.
Ali Rindt scored first for the Eagles with two free throw shots, and Hamburg answered with two points from Ciara Tucker. The Lady Eagles put four more points on their side, leading 6 - 2.

The Lady Lions got ahead for the first time mid-first quarter, 12 - 9, with eight of Hamburg’s points coming from Tucker.

Govan called a timeout and sent her girls back to the court. Rindt wasted no time and shot a three-pointer to tie the game, and after a quick round of defense, she shot from behind the three-point line for a 15 - 12 lead.
Tiara Mooney answered with two points for the Lions and got an “and one” opportunity at the free throw line, making the score 15 - 15 with seconds left in the first quarter.

Rindt shot another three-pointer just as the first quarter sounded, giving the Eagles an 18 - 15 lead going into the second.
Rindt remained hot with the three-pointers all night, and the Eagles were leading 20 - 16 when Rindt hit another one.

Tucker answered with a three-pointer for the Lions, making the score 23 - 19.

The Lady Eagles continued to battle, and with four minutes left in the half were still leading 26 - 23.

Tiana Wilson assisted Tucker for two Lion points, and the Eagles were only one point ahead at 26 - 25.

Govan called another timeout and sent the girls back on the court. This time it was Jayden Thurmon who left the timeout circle and went straight to the three- point line. She hit a nothing but net shot, giving the Eagles a four-point lead.

The Lady Eagles played tough defense until Te’A Jenkins was able to bring the ball back to the Lady Eagle side and put up two more points for a six-point lead.

The score was 34 - 30 in Crossett’s favor with less than a minute in the first half.

Thurman hit a free throw shot for one point and Nakari Thrower put back Thurman’s second free throw attempt for another two points. The Eagles were leading 37 - 30, but Olivia Tarver hit one free throw shot for the Lady Lions, making the official half time score 37 - 31.

Rindt had already scored 17 points for the Lady Eagles and Tucker had put up 13 for the Lady Lions. Wilson was right there with Tucker and put up 11 for the Lions.

There was not a lot of scoring in the third quarter for either team. The Lady Lions surrounded Rindt, keeping her from sinking threes, and the Eagles only scored five points in the quarter, while the Lions only scored four. The Lady Eagles led 42 - 35.

The fourth quarter was loud and tense.

Wilson scored the first point with a free throw shot for the Lions, and Trinity Lewis added two more, with an assist from Kristian McGehee, who scored two more.

The Lady Eagles led 42 - 39, and a three-point shot from Rindt and free throw for Hamburg made it 45 - 40 with less than six minutes to play in the game.

Late in the fourth quarter, Hamburg took the lead when a two-point shot from Chasity Miller, which moved the scoreboard to 51 - 49.

Lady Eagle Adrienne Spencer was fouled by McGehee, sending her to the free throw line. Spencer sunk both of her shots, tying the game with 33.3 seconds to play.

There was some confusion with the scoreboard, and the referees took a timeout to count the score. The Eagles showed they were leading 52 - 51, but after an official review the scoreboard remained tied. The crowds on both sides were on their feet screaming loudly.

McGehee drew a foul and sunk two free throw shots, giving Hamburg a two point lead with 18 seconds on the clock. Lewis followed suit and got two more free throw shots. Lewis made one shot and the Eagles needed three points in eight seconds to keep the game alive.

The Lady Eagles got the ball to Rindt who was fouled as she shot from behind the three-point line. The ball circled the rim and bounced out, but Rindt had earned three free throws.

Rindt sunk the first one, sending the Eagle crowd to their feet. Hope was lost when she missed the second, but she made the third for a final score of 54 - 53.

--For the complete story, see the print edition